The Hotel Czarna Róża was built within / on medieval framework.
The northern part of the Hotel faces Rabiańska Street,whereas the southern one overlooks gothic city walls along Bankowa Street. For being situated in the close neighbourhood of the Vistula River, the Rabiańska Street was used for economic reasons. In the Middle Ages, there were mainly low buildings, granaries and gardens. More interestingly, the street used to have many different names throughout the history. And so, in 1703 it was called Seegler Gasse, a hundred years later – Araber Gasse, and in 1810 – Arabska Street, turned into German – Araberstrasse in 1895. After the World War I and the restoration of Poland’s independence, local authorities gave the street its current name – Rabiańska.
A place in history
In the early medieval times, the current building served as a one-spaced granary which was rebuilt to become a tenement house in the fifteenth century. Characteristically of merchant Toruń, the building could be used as both a house and a store due to its high entrance hall and a build – in gallery. Up to the nineteenth century the property hardly changed in any way. However, in 1821, a local jewellery maker Joseph Baranowski sold the townhouse to Friedrich Schumacher. The new owner rebuilt the premises completely after the destructions of the city due to Napoleon’s wars. During the renovation, the building became a multi -family, four – storey classicist townhouse.
In 1987, the place was converted into a guest house by Anastasius Jankiewicz, a merchant from Dresden. Then, a tavern and a billiard room were situated at the ground floor and some guest rooms upstairs. A cobbled backyard was used as a stable for four horses.
The townhouse has been home for many notable figures over the years. The voivode of Brześć and Kujawy – Stanisław Dąbski was the owner of the premises in 1794. While other illustrious tenants included members of local authorities, merchant families and crafts’ representatives for example a jeweller Joseph Heilfron or a hairdresser Hans Dittman.
The beginning of the Hotel
The hotel was created in 1993 by Iwona Kowalczuk – Kuś. Through the complete restoration, the ruined historical townhouse has became a quiet and pleasant place, which still keeps the warm atmosphere of the old Toruń houses. Nowadays, the building is listed on the register of historic monuments in Kuyavian – Pomeranian Voivodeship. Due to our historic status every effort has been taken to preserve the original character and structure of the townhouse. Therefore, the nineteenth century spacial arrangement and the medieval basement walls encircling the house made of stone and full burnt brick have been kept intact. Similarly, the front elevation still keeps the classicist Renaissance style and the ground and first floor walls show beautiful Gothic alcoves.
Maintaining the family tradition, the Hotel has since 2005 been run by Karolina Kuś. A lot of facilities and innovations have made the rooms functional and individually decorated. We believe that the unique charm and beauty of the place will make it your ideal home in Toruń.
Why a Black Rose (Czarna Róża)?
In the 90’s the building stayed empty and was walled in to prevent it from falling into ruin. However, the new owner, could enter the building from the backyard in spring 1993. What she saw was not just an area overgrown with weeds, bushes and wild trees or bits of junk lying around. Iwona Kowalczuk – Kuś noticed a rose bush covered with purple flowers, very dark and deep in colour.
The very roses became an inspiration for the hotel and its name. Soon after, the renovation and complete refurbishment started.
Today, there are roses on our patio as well. The rose garden at the rear of the hotel, among Gothic walls, is a relaxing haven for any weary traveller and is there to be enjoyed by all our guests. Moreover, we aim to preserve the memory of the very spring day and the charismatic visioner – Iwona Kowalczuk – Kuś and so, we still plant new trees and flowers.